24 Mei 2010

Ruweyda Dool Fashion Designer Q+A


Along with the other rising stars we have coming out in abundance in the underground fashion world. Ruweyda Dool is the young fashion designer who is quickly outshining the rest.
Born and raised in London, Ruweyda aspires to take-over the world with her epitome of elegance and sophistication in her garments.
Currently her eclectic fusion of color influenced by the African culture is what is showing on our catwalks today.
Not only does she rein supremely with her garments she also has mastered the craft of jewelry design, There’s just no stopping this girl she’s on a roll.



Mimi:Where did you grow up?

RD:I was born and raised in London; I am 19 years of age living in Finchley.

Mimi:What were your earlier aspirations?

RD:When I was really young I actually remember wanting to be a Police Officer. I know it’s completely not anywhere near fashion but hey I was young.

Mimi:What kind of things interested you when you were younger?

RD:Music and Art really

Mimi:How and when did Ruweyda Dool clothing line first come about?

RD:When I started producing quite a few garments and I was getting a good feedback from them as people wanted to purchase pieces off me - I thought this is what I want to do!!

Mimi:Are you at university if so what do you study?

RD:Currently I am in my last year of university, Studying Surface Design at London College of Communication part of the University of the Arts.
You’re probably thinking why am i not studying fashion?
Because I want to be an all rounder, to learn not only the construction of a garment, but fabric manipulation.


Mimi:When did you first realize you wanted a career in fashion?

RD:Fashion has been an integral part of my life from a young age from styling and giving fashion tips to making garments. When I made my first evening dress in my second year of studying my A-Levels, I knew it

I don’t see me being a fashion designer as a ‘job’ as I love making garments. It’s like second nature to me now!

Mimi:Did you ever have cold feet about starting your own clothing line?

RD:I didn’t you know, as I think that everything happens for a reason

Mimi:What was the most challenging thing about it?

RD:Well the thing is I actually like a challenge so for every collection I do – a thought process is usually the thing that challenges me as the expectation increase.

Mimi:Are there any regrets about the decisions you made in the past regarding your collections?

RD:I don’t really regret anything I do I just learn from it

Mimi:Tell me about your designs; what do you try to create. What’s your style?

RD:Well, I specialize in women’s-wear; however, I will be branching out into menswear very soon. What my label portrays is the accentuation of a females body hence the fit and shape of each piece. Also I use colors to compliment your skin and personality. My garments are the epitome of elegance and sophistication however, very creative and technical.


Mimi:Where do you see yourself in five years?

RD:A successful fashion designer, still loving what I do

Mimi:Are there any other dreams that you wish to fulfill?

RD:To be internationally established

Mimi:What kind of things interests you?

RD:Art as it can be expressed in any shape or form

Mimi:Where do you find your inspiration?

RD:Everyday life - from the way something sounds to way in which someone moves

Mimi:Are there any designers that are inspiring you at the moment?

RD:The fashion designer that has and will always inspire me is John Galliano – He is an amazing designer

Mimi:Who would you love to have collaboration with?

RD:John Galliano

Mimi:What’s your favorite country for fashion?

RD:Well I have a couple – Of Course Britain, New York & Milan

Mimi:What do you hate about the industry?

RD:Nothing really, not yet anyways

Mimi:What is your current collection about?

RD:My current collection is my Ethnic/African Inspired Collection which is an Eclectic fusion of color inspired by vibrancy of African culture with a western twist. The influence is to capture the color and warmth of AFRICA and what it represents.




Mimi:What can we expect from your next collection?

RD:Oooo that would be telling! – However, just expect the unexpected!

to see more of her collection visit
www.ruweydadool.com